Tom Hopper (Sir Percival)

Re: Tom Hopper (Sir Percival)

Postby Emrys » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:12 am

Having read Ms. Percival's "Knights of Camelot' thus far, I can attest to the fact that Christiane does indeed, bring out a wilder side of Sir Percival!
Love is all there Is
Emrys
Site Admin

Postby Galadriel » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:43 am

He has very special moments, I love both ones you portrayed here, carrying 3 kinds and Carrying Merlin. One with such warmth and the other heart breaking. I will add the Gwaine death scene...the contrast between Percival's strength when he brakes the ropes that bind him and his sweetness and compassion when we kneels before his friend to kiss farewell.

He has quite a legend as a Grail Knight!
In the medieval Grail romances, Parsifal-Parzival- Percival, the hero visits the Grail Castle twice. On the first occasion, the boy remembers that he has been taught not to ask unnecessary questions, and so does not ask a necessary question. As a result, he fails and the land becomes, or at least continues to be, a waste land. By the time he finds the Grail Castle again, the hero has achieved enlightenment and is able to ask the Question and so bring healing.

In Chrétien's account, the necessary Question is: "Who is served by the grail?". A possible answer would be: "The old king, whose heir you are".

In Wagner's Opera Parsifal, the composer dispensed with the Question entirely. "What is important is not the question, but the recovery of the spear" Wagner realized that there was another possibility: Parsifal fails to understand what he experiences at the Grail Castle, until he has relived Amfortas' (Fisher King) encounter with Kundry High Messenger of the Grial). He then understands through emotional identification with the suffering Fisher King.

There is, however, a question in Wagner's version: it is asked by Parsifal on his arrival at the lake in the domain of the Grail. "Who is the Grail?", he asks. Gurnemanz Parzival's first tutor and the maternal uncle of Condwiramurs - Percival's wife)laughs. "That cannot be spoken", he says, "but if you are called to its service, the knowledge will not be hidden for long."

I just remembered one of those peculiar "acting moments" with Tom, one in which the big strong guy and the sweet boy- do great. Lancelot presents him to Arthur and Percival is struck by Arthur's gentleness and humility, he looks so surprised and marveled! It is a poem!

Gosh! I cannot get over Merlin! Nevertheless I am very grateful for the lesson I learn every day... Yes I do watch at least a bit every day, it is good for the heart and soul...
Galadriel

Postby Emrys » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:29 pm

Hello Galadriel

Thank you for that wonderful account of all things Percival (Parsifal) & more. It is amazing how the Athurian legend has inspired so many other stories, poetry, plays and music over the years. And still does to a whole new audience through Merlin!

Did you see we are having a "Merlin Marathon" starting on December 1st - lots of us will be watching Merlin everyday. As you say, it's good for the mind and soul!
Love is all there Is
Emrys
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Supporting Cast: ~ Richard, Anthony, Eoin, Rupert, Tom, Alex